Become a Mentor
You can be a mentor if:
* you have a genuine interest in youth.
* you are flexible and patient.
* you have good listening skills.
* you want to participate in a journey with a child, not "fix" them.
Mentors commit to meeting with their mentees one hour a week during the school day for one (1) school year. Although we just require a one year commitment, our hope is that mentors will recommit at the end of that year and, if possible, continue through high school graduation.
* Ability to meet with mentee one-on-one, once per week
* Willingness to comply with guidelines offered at training
* Genuine concern for children
* Ability to commit to one year of mentoring with the understanding you will be asked to continue beyond one year
* Mentors must be able to independently navigate the building and meet with their mentee without the assistance of school district personnel. It is acceptable if the mentor is accompanied by his or her own personal assistant, if applicable.
* Mentors must have sufficient communication skills to effectively engage his or her mentee in an effective and enriching manner. If the mentor requires some type of interpretive services, it is the mentor's responsibility to provide all such services.
2. Participate in an interview/screening session.
3. Complete a fingerprint based criminal background check (provided at no cost by the school districts).
4. Attend a two-hour training session.
5. Agree to come to your mentoring sessions consistently and stay with your mentoring relationship for at least one year.
Resources for Mentors- http://chronicle.umbmentoring.org
Become A Mentor TODAY
Fill out the
Fill out the application at the bottom left and return to:
Lauren Smith email@example.com (Champaign)
Tom Howley (Urbana)
Fall 2021 Training Dates
September 21, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
October 7, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
October 13, 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
To register contact Lauren Smith @ (Champaign) or
Tom Howley @ (Urbana)
Please fill out the application and attach it to your email to (Urbana) or (Champaign)
Fall Mentor Training